Thursday, August 2, 2007

Defining 'Love?'

Last Saturday morning at 7am, I dropped off a soldier at his army base and wished him luck, kissed him on the forehead, waved goodbye, and shed a few tears. Alex had left for his annual training for the army national guard for two weeks. I was thinking, heck, what's two weeks...two measly weeks, that's nothing. He'll be back in no time at all. Now it's only been six days, and I just feel so unbelievably alone and so sad. And there's still nine days left! I know what you're all thinking...katie, honestly, I really don't need to hear you bitch about how much you miss your dumb boyfriend and all, suck it up. And while I could go on and on about how much I miss and love Alex, that really isn't what this post is about. This post is for all the brave couples all over the world who have to fight this feeling every day for a year if not more. Army, marine, and airforce couples might have the toughest life of anyone I know. These two weeks away from Alex are nothing compared to what many couples go through. And these two weeks gave me a tiny taste of what life must be like for them. Not only do they have to be away from the person that makes their life happy, normal, and fulfilling, but they have to constantly be worrying about the well being of their husband or wife. Now I know Alex is safe where he is, but many wives and husbands do not have that benefit. I've been sitting here thinking, 'how in the world do these people even make it through a day?' I mean, they are raising their children alone, sleeping alone, they don't have an adult connection within their home anymore, what do they have to look forward to? It's unbelievable that any of these relationships even survive. I think more people should look at these amazing couples and strive to live like them. They are the definition of respect, trust, patience, and persaverance. I tried asking myself if I could make it a whole year with Alex serving overseas. I just don't know if I could do it. For a couple to be able to survive those kindof circumstances...you really do need all of those things, and I believe many of them do survive it. I think couples who are serving in the armed forces should be given much more praise and encouragement for what they do. They are giving up the person they love the most in the world to go and fight for this country. That's pretty selfless. I don't think that anyone serving in the armed forces or their signifigant other back home gets enough credit for what they do and how well they do it. I believe these people are the true definition of love. I only hope that I'll be as good a wife as many of these women are that drop their husbands off at the army base and wave goodbye for a whole year. Now that's love.

And let's pray...Alex never has to be sent overseas to fight this ridiculous war. Only four more months and he'll have his six years in, which means he'll be all done!!!

Thank you to all those involved directly and indirectly in selflessly borrowing your own lives and those you love.

1 comment:

ALH said...

great thoughts. from now on, let's only elect a president who has a son or daughter, niece or nephew serving in the military. that way we'll think long and hard before we invade anybody. let's resolve to be slow to war or using violence.